Mission Statement (Play Is The Way)
Merritt Central Elementary School is located in the Nicola Valley. It is about 45 Min South of Kamloops, 75 Min West of Kelowna and about 3 hours from Vancouver. Our school services students from the immediate area within Merritt as well we service students who travel in every day from the Upper Nicola Indian Band and the Coldwater Indian Band.
We have developed a strong reputation within the community, as a school that focuses on the social and emotional needs of all students. Using the “Play is the Way” (PITW) philosophy our aim is to raise children considerate of themselves, others and the world in which they live, with sound reasons for the things they say and do. Central to our goal is the development of positive interpersonal skills, self-control, self-motivation and reflective thinking by raising empathy levels and providing opportunities to enact virtuous behaviour and tolerance towards others.
Merritt Central Elementary School is committed to developing Behaviour Education and Self-Management (BESM). We embrace a values based approach to education and this underpins our culture. We see BESM as a responsibility of the entire school community. Students, parents and teachers need to have a clear understanding of what is expected in regards to how we treat each other, to ensure a welcoming learning environment that is supportive and safe and is conducive to learning.
At Merritt Central we believe it is the quality of the teacher that is the critical factor in ensuring positive outcomes for all students. Teachers at Merritt Central are skilled in developing strong working relationships with students and parents. It is the strength of these relationships that give students the confidence to work effectively with others to achieve their personal best.
We believe all students can achieve success. Our job is to ensure every student has the opportunity to do so. The most effective way to achieve this is to develop each student’s social and emotional capabilities. We therefore are transitioning away from the use of rewards, praise or punishments to manipulate students. In line with the PITW philosophy we want students to leave Merritt Central as self-motivated learners who do the right thing because it is the right thing to do.
A Few Reminders…
- Please make sure that you call the school when your child is going to be absent.
- It is important that you update the school when your contact information changes.
- We would like you to call the school prior to 2:00pm if you have a message for your child regarding after school pick-up.
- We would like parents to park in the student pick-up area and walk on the marked path to the cafeteria to pick up your children. Unless you have small children and/or, you are physically unable to walk to the school from the designated parking area.
- Please call the office if you would like to arrange a meeting with your child's teacher.
July 18, 2018
December 20, 2017
November 30, 2017
November 30, 2017
May 6, 2017